The Cathedral’s Master of the Choristers David Stevens was accompanied by the Girls’ Choir and Lay Clerks.
The choir sang 5.30pm Evensong in St Anne’s before heading down the M1 and A1 in the Cathedral minibuses. They were welcomed by the minster the Rev Norman Hutton, and enjoyed some sustenance in the form of the ever reliable pizza!
The original church was in Lurgan Road, in what is now known as Old Meeting House Green. The congregation worshipped there until 1846, when they moved to the impressive new church. A special 300th anniversary service was held in the church in September.
There were congregational hymns including O come, O come Emmanuel, Once in Royal David’s City, Away in a Manger, Silent Night, While Shepherds Watched their Flocks by Night and Hark the Herald Angels Sing.
The audience was treated to some wonderful pieces played by David on the organ. These included Bach’s In dulci jubilo, Noel X (LC Daquin); The Holy Boy (J Ireland) Sleigh Ride (L Anderson)
Mr Hutton had invited representatives of other churches in Banbridge to do readings between the musical items.
The concert was free, but a retiring collection raised £600 and this will be divided between the Cathedral Black Santa Appeal and the St Anne’s Choir School Project. The organisers of this concert thank all those who attended for their generous support.
For further information contact Karen Bushby, Press Officer, St Anne’s Cathedral, Belfast, on 07766 103880; email [email protected]